If you’re here, you’re probably aware that Young Living is the world-leader in essential oils, but did you also know that Young Living’s offerings go far beyond essential oils? Young Living’s farms produce plants which go into a number of wellness supporting products, including non-toxic cleaning products for your household, personal care products (ie: toothpaste, shampoo, face wash, lotions etc), essential oil infused supplements and even food.
Einkorn wheat is one of the many plants grown at Young Living’s farm in Mona, Utah, where you’ll find nearly 1,400 acres of pristine land filled with aromatic herbs and flowers. Einkorn is known as the oldest variety of wheat, the original “staff-of-life” grain referred to in the Bible, so it has a completely different genetic makeup than modern day wheat. Einkorn is not hybridized like modern wheat is. It has only 14 chromosomes (versus modern wheat’s 42) which changes its gluten structure making Einkorn much easier to digest.
Modern wheat has gone beyond just hybridization and is now being contaminated by genetically modified varieties. Ever wonder why so many people have food allergies and sensitivities these days? One reason is because modern “food” has become unrecognizable to the human body and is treated as a foreign substance, causing inflammation, resulting in disease. Coupled with the GMO takeover of the modern food supply in the US, hybridized wheat has wreaked havoc on public health. It’s no wonder people are sicker than ever.
Recognizing the need for easier-to-digest alternatives to modern wheat flour, D. Gary Young took Einkorn grain, ground it up and brought Einkorn Flour to the table. You can substitute Einkorn flour for wheat flour in a 1:1 ratio, using it wherever flour is called for. (Pro tip: Einkorn flour doesn’t absorb as much liquid as the other stuff, so try reducing the liquid in your recipes by about 20%.)
Why use Young Living’s Einkorn flour instead of conventional flour?
- Einkorn is considered more nutritious than modern wheat, based on the higher level of protein, essential fatty acids, phosphorous, potassium, pyridoxine, and beta-carotene.
- Einkorn only has 14 chromosomes, so it has a different gluten structure and is easier to digest than modern day wheat.
- Einkorn is a hulled wheat, whereas modern wheats are not. The hull can protect the grain from stray chemical contamination and insects.
- Einkorn offers higher vitamin B6 content, twice the vitamin A, four times more beta-carotene and lutein, and five times more riboflavin.
- Einkorn is very low in gluten, and the gluten that is there is in a form that is easier to digest.
- Unlike most wheat flour alternatives which contain weird ingredients like xanthan gum (a thickener derived from GMO corn), the only ingredient in Young Living’s Einkorn Flour is whole grain Einkorn Flour, backed by Young Living’s Seed to Seal practices which exceed organic standards for purity and sustainability.
- Einkorn wheat is not hybridized. It is a true, ancient grain. It is grown just as nature intended in its pure, original form.
- Young Living’s Einkorn is grown on pristine land without the use of harmful pesticides and Agrichemicals, resulting in a pure, clean product healthy enough for the whole family.
Disclaimer: Given all that, I should mention that Einkorn flour is not gluten free, and whether or not it is suitable for people with Celiac or other gluten-allergies remains to be seen. There is hope, however, but please proceed with caution. The gluten in Einkorn has a different genetic structure, so many people who have difficulty digesting the proteins found in most gluten can digest Einkorn with no trouble. As a person who is not allergic to gluten but is sensitive to its effects (mainly lethargy and bloating) I can say that I have no problems when I use Einkorn flour. My family has happily made the switch and it has been wonderful for us. I plan on sharing some of my Einkorn flour recipes as the cooler weather makes its appearance this fall, so stay tuned!
If you’d like to try Einkorn flour for yourself, you can use this link to purchase some. The wholesale price is for people who have purchased a Premium Starter Kit, so if you’d like more info about that just let me know. You can scroll down for my contact info. For those of you already using Einkorn flour, what has been your favorite use so far? Let me know in the comments!