A question I often hear is “are essential oils safe for kids?” The short answer is, yes, but with some added precautions!
Firstly, essential oils are extremely concentrated and not exactly regulated in the way you might assume.
The closest thing we have in the United States is an FDA requirement to have at least 5% essential oil in a bottle to be labeled “pure” or “therapeutic grade.” This is even true of the “USDA organic” ones; just the 5% oil part has to be organic, but the other 95% can be whatever and they don’t have to tell you what it is. 😳
This means: do your research and know your source! Cheap companies use lots of pesticides and chemical laden fillers, and you don’t want high concentrations of those things on your babies! Our fam uses Young Living oils exclusively because of their unique Seed to Seal promise, and because I’ve lived that promise firsthand! .
Secondly, always dilute essential oils when applying to your child’s skin. One drop of Young Living essential oil contains as many as 400 million trillion molecules! A little goes a long way, and children have more sensitive skin than adults do. We like organic coconut 🥥 oil around here.
Avoid applying essential oils to the eyes, inside of the ears or any mucous membranes. (This applies to adults as well!)
Read the usage label on the bottle and be aware of which oils are “hot.” Dilute these extra and apply to the bottoms of the feet where the skin is a bit tougher. (Think Thieves essential oil blend, which contains spicy cinnamon and clove.) Some great carrier oils you can use are V-6 vegetable oil complex from Young Living, organic coconut oil, grapeseed oil, almond oil, jojoba oil etc.
Me mindful of how you store your oils so little hands can’t get into them without supervision, and keep the oils with child resistant tops way out of reach.
Diffusing oils is another great option for the littles. Both of my kiddos have diffusers in their own rooms with their own sleepy time blends. (We got one diffuser in our starter kit and I immediately invested in extras for our other rooms!)
It’s also helpful to have an essential oil reference guide of some sort on hand so you can look up oils as you go, in case you’re ever unsure about one.
And pick up a copy of the book Gentle Babies by Debra Raybern! That is an excellent source for all oily things pregnancy, baby & kid related. 💕
And if you’re REALLY unsure, Young Living has a whole line of pre-diluted oils just for kids called KidScents. We love this line, especially Owie and Tummygize. 😊
If you don’t have Young Living oils already, you can use this link to become a wholesale member right now, or if you feel like you want more info you can check out the kit on our blog and we’ll tell you all about why you need it in your life. 💕 Happy oiling!